Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Cookies

So, it's now officially the day after Christmas and I must admit I'm a bit relieved.  I managed to get behind this year with many things, including my Christmas cookie baking.   I recently showed up at a family Christmas gathering sans Christmas cookies.  My brother threatened to disown me.  Ok, perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit, but he was extremely disappointed that I had no cookies to share.  I knew I couldn't show up to the next Christmas gathering with no cookies.  So, two days before I needed them (I tend to procrastinate) I decided to begin my baking blitz.   I thought I'd bought everything I needed for the cookie baking blitz the week before, but I discovered that I was out of brown sugar.  I realized I would have to go to the store.  My trip to the store inspired this parody of sorts.  It was a disaster of a trip and I finally made it home exhausted.  I didn't bake a single cookie that night.  

I laughed that night at the ridiculousness of rushing around to get these cookies made. I was feeling stressed and, if I'm honest, a little bit crabby about not having these cookies made. I realized that all the rushing and stress was taking the joy out of something I look forward to every year.  I enjoy sharing cookies with family and friends at Christmastime, but the rush of it all (due to my procrastination) was getting to me.  I decided that I would relax a bit and start baking the next day.  Whatever I was able to get done would have to be enough.  At the end of it all, I managed to bake several batches and was able to share them with family and friends. And I was able to do so with a smile on my face and joy in my heart.   


There is a series of children's books by Laura Numeroff.  My favorite one is If You Give A Moose a Muffin.  If you have a preschooler in your life, you may be familiar with these books.  If you have a preschooler in your life and are not familiar with these books, you should be.  They will love them.  If you  do not have a preschooler in your life,  you should check them out anyway.  They are adorable.  I still love to read all the books in the series (don't judge me).  

This "parody story" is a series of actual events that took place on my trip to the store for brown sugar on Monday evening-for serious and for real!    My prayer for you all is that you will be able to look back at whatever crazy, stress-inducing, time crunch Christmas situation  you may have found yourself in this season and find a reason to smile or even laugh.  The making of sweet memories often involves a pinch of insanity.  Merry day after Christmas, my friends.  Take a minute and exhaaaaaaaale.   You made it.  


If You Give a Mom a Cookie Recipe 

If you give a mom a cookie recipe, she'll need to go to her cupboard to gather the ingredients. 

When she opens the cupboard door, she'll see she is completely out of brown sugar. 
She'll have to go to the store and get some.
Pressed for time, she won't have time to do her hair, change out of her yoga pants,  or put on any make up.   
She'll put her (too-short-for-a-hair-clip) hair up in a clip and half of it will hang out of the clip.   
She will drive to the store looking a mess. 
When she gets to the store,  she'll realize she doesn't know where anything is because she seldom shops there. 
She'll wander around looking for the brown sugar for what feels like an eternity. 
While she's wandering around the store, she will inevitably see several people she knows. 
She'll stop to say hello. 
Since she looks like she just rolled out of bed, she'll hurry the conversation in hopes they won't notice her slovenly appearance.  
She'll make her way to the checkout line.  
When she unloads her cart, she'll realize that although she only came for brown sugar, she has picked up over $50.00 worth of stuff she found as she wandered around the unfamiliar store looking for the brown sugar. 
She will leave the store and drive home exasperated and $50.00 poorer.  
When she gets home she'll pick up her cookie recipe and walk over to her groceries.  
And chances are... when she looks through the bags, she'll realize she forgot to buy the brown sugar.  
Thanks for reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment